Monday, September 7, 2009

Styx in the Sticks


So when asked about what my activities included in Kumamoto, I like to point out that one of the first things I did was step in well placed present left by a local dog. After I cleaned up with a hose (courtesy of Hiromi's friend Saori), we drove around and laughed at signs such as "Handsman!" which apparently is a store like Home Depot. Other signs included "Dramatic Communications!" and "Jolly Pasta", though I think my favorite is still “Enjoy Entertainment Space”.

Food followed and then the group decided they wanted to go to the onsen. While they did that I came to the conclusion that while I am willing to try things in Japan in an effort to be culturally adaptive, I still have a population cap of “Just Me” for bathing purposes. If you want to see how the onsen went, you may want to check Ryan’s blog.

Then that night we got to sleep in the official haunted room of Hiromi’s parent’s house. Well, not really haunted, but it is the room with the family shrine in it including pictures of past generations. More sleeping on tatami and futons. I love it.

The next day (which also happens to be the day I am writing all of this on) didn’t feature dog droppings, but it did have a slightly more relaxed pace than we have had up to this point. We spent a large part of the afternoon doing karaoke with some of Hiromi’s friends. The company was great, the songs were fun, and the air conditioning was just lovely.

That was followed by Mr. Donuts and fireworks. It is nice coming to a place where they let you set things on fire and they aren’t worried that you’ll burn down the countryside. Tomorrow will apparently include visits to the recently restored Kumamoto Castle, a famous kabuki theatre, and one of the houses of Natsumei Souseki. What crazy happenings will befall our hero next? Stay tuned!

~Jeff

5 comments:

  1. Dog pooh, Karaoke, kabuki, and castles! Wow! What experiences and memories!
    Love
    The Ward Cellist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, and I thought Japan was supposed to be one of the cleanest places on earth!

    LOL!! The shop names there never stop being hilarious to me. = P

    I agree with you about the onsen...there's just no way I could do that...

    A real haunted room!? Did you see her ancestors during the night at all...? O_O It sounds uncomfortable to sleep on a futon...how is it?

    OH! Karaoke is something I'll definitely be doing! Sounds like so much fun. I want some Mr. Doughnuts!(Send me some....I mean it.)

    LOL! A great read, I can't wait for the next chapter of this epic legend-narrative-saga-tale to unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Judy..ehhem..I mean Mrs. Ward Cellist:
    I'm loving the way that you signed your post.(By the way....)

    Next time I see you I expect a full concert, of many different ways to arrange "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

    (I mean it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chris - Yep! Their pictures are all up in one corner of the room. I think they were joking about it being haunted though, it was just that it might seem eerie to some.

    There are Mr. Donuts all over the place, I've been to one once with Ryan and Hiromi but I'm not much of a donut person so I didn't partake.

    The karaoke place was a lot of fun, and I definitely recommend it. I had trouble finding songs at first, but one that Ryan and I both sang together was Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto. We thought it was a pretty appropriate choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that my ancestors had not showed up to say "Hi" to you guys yet.
    I guess they are a little shy ;)

    I'm glad that you decided to try and come to Karaoke and you liked it.
    It was a fun day for all of us :)

    ReplyDelete